Sharks Flushed in Second Game of Season

 The recipe to winning baseball games is not walks and errors. The Sharks proved that Wednesday night, walking eight batters along with six errors, succumbing to the Bristol Blues 11-1.

The game lasted 3 hours and 18 minutes, a complete turnaround from the pitching duel the night prior, which ended at 2 hours and seven minutes. 

Brandon Olivera, a rising sophmore from the University of Miami, took the bump for the second game of the season. His catcher, AJ Goytia, another rising sophmore at Miami, also saw his first action in the purple and black. From the bullpens in Coral Gables to now NECBL action in Oak Bluffs, the duo faced a tough test in the Bristol Blues.

Bristol features a variety of talent, and came off an impressive 7-4 win at the Danbury Westerners in thier season opener. Olivera began the evening showcasing his electric fastball, and complementary off-speed. The control of his heater began fantastically, and mowed down the Bristol leadoff batter looking. Unfortunately, his complete control did not last long, and walked the second batter of the game. The Sharks managed to get out of the top of the first thanks to a Dimitri Diamant unassisted double play, but the issues did not cease.

The top of the second inning began with a double down the first base line. Olivera fanned the next batter, but walked the third batter of the inning on balls, and hit the fourth batter in the elbow. With the bases loaded, Olivera forced a ground ball to short. The short to second connection gelled perfectly, but the throw to first sailed right of first baseman Scott Seeker, allowing the first two runs of the game to come around. The next Blues' hitter, center fielder Easton Brenner hitting ninth, smacked a 1-2 fastball over the Sharks' center fielder's head, bouncing all the way to the wall. Brenner slid into third with a triple, driving in the third run of the game in the process. Olivera got out of the inning the next at-bat, and the Sharks hitting attempted to provide thier pitcher with some of their own run support. 

Dimitri Diamant, Georgia Tech second baseman making his return to the Sharks, wasted no time reminding fans of his ability. In his first at bat of the season, Diamant launched a no-doubter to left field, landing 35 feet over the 325 foot left field wall.

From there, the problems worsened. 

The top of the third started with the second batter in the Bristol lineup, and ended with the leadoff man. All nine batters saw an at-bat in the top of the third, thanks to a little help from the Sharks. Olivera started the inning issuing two straight walks, then two quick outs. The fifth batter of the inning reached on balls, and the eigth reached on an error. The second inning featured three errors, four walks, and even a balk, totaling four Bristol runs. Before the Sharks could blink, they faced a 7-1 deficit.

Bristol extended thier lead in the third, making it 10-1 before the whole Sharks lineup made thier second trip to the plate. The play that may have summed the night up best for Sharks came in the top of the fifth, when the Bristol Blues nine hitter popped the baseball up to short right field. All three nearest Sharks' fielders lost it in the lights, allowing the ball to land peacefully 15 feet into the right field grass. 

The Sharks lost track of this one, losing 11-1, but aim to get back on the right track tomorrow, hosting the Vermont Mountaineers. First pitch will again be at 6:35p.m., as the Sharks hunt thier first win of the season.